Wednesday, November 5, 2008

My Crazy Cactus




Three years ago, yes, three YEARS ago, I brought this little cactus home from my grandmother-in-law's. On the way home, it got tipped over and the cactus came out of the pot. I pretty well wrote it off as dead but Grandma gave it to me so I brought it home, sat it in the windowsill in the kitchen and let it be. Every few months I would pick the cactus up to see if it had grown any roots, much to my dismay, nothing, always just this little teeny, tiny thumb sticking out of the pot.






Then.......we went on vacation in June of this year, the week of the flood actually. We had turned the air off in the house and apparently, it was "perfect" conditions for the cactus, because I came home to it being double its size. I was amazed. I took it outside and sat it in one of my geranium pots for the summer. A few weeks ago, I brought it in and stuck it in the bathroom, where it would get the most warm, moist air.






Today, I come home to find a "beak" sticking out of the cactus, it is going to bloom!!!! I can't believe it. Now I am babying it and now something will happen to the bloom, I have already warned everybody to not touch it....now watch, I will be the one to knock the bloom off.


Just thought I would share, if it makes it to actually bloom, there will be another post.

Bob, let me know if Grandma can see pictures on her cell, I will send her one!

1 comment:

Ashley said...

Good luck Mrs. Green Thumb!