Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Crab Cakes

Crab Cakes were introduced to us when we lived in Pennsylvania.
Everyplace you went out there had Crab Cakes and they quickly became a favorite. I make mine with the imitation crabmeat. Between it and chunked up crab, I like the imitation more.  These got rave reviews from Andrew too, already asking me to make them again.

1 lb. imitation crab, I use Louis Kemp's     2 eggs
1/2 cup chopped, bell pepper                      1/2 tsp. hot pepper sauce
2 TBS Onion, Onion (Tastefully Simple)   27 butter crackers (Ritz)

1. Finally crush the crackers, divide in half.
2. Break eggs in bottom of medium sized mixing bowl, scramble slightly, add crab (the more it is shredded, the better), bell pepper (I have bags of frozen from the garden, they are a mix of red, green and yellow and really gave this good flavor), and Onion, Onion (you can use a 1/4 c of chopped onion if you don't have Onion, Onion) and half the cracker crumbs. Refrigerate 1 hour, or until ready to use-- I mix this up before work and let it refrigerate all day.
3. Shape crab mix into 10 1-inch thick patties; coat with remaining crumbs.
4. Heat 1/4 c oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat. Add crab cakes, cook 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden on both sides. Remove to paper towels to drain.

I use tarter sauce on mine, Andrew uses Cocktail sauce. Hollandaise would be good too, but I wasn't in the mood to make it.

*If you liked the canned crab, you can use it, just drain it well and make sure you have a lb. of it.

Enjoy!

No comments: