Thursday, March 26, 2009

Ran Through the Ringer

I have not had a good couple of days, to say I feel like I have been hit by a Mack truck would be putting it mildly, a freight train might be a little closer--worst part--it doesn't seem to be over.

Monday morning, I had a mild backache, I normally don't have backaches so it was a little odd, but it went away by noon and life was fine again.

Tuesday morning, it came back--with a vengeance. I took some Aleve and got myself to work but only to stay a couple of hours, I hurt so bad. I felt like I had on a girdle made of nine inch nails, there was pain wrapping all the way around me.

I went home convinced that there was a little something wrong with my kidneys and if I drank enough liquids, it would all feel better.

Yesterday morning, same pain, different day; I broke down and called Becky. I went to see her yesterday afternoon, she tested my urine and found that I had a large amount of blood in it and that I hadn't been drinking enough. She was pretty sure I had a kidney stone (flashback to Tuesday evening: Andrew:"I bet you have a kidney stone, lets go out in the jeep and I will shake it loose for you" Me:....Uhhhh...NO!!!!!!"-Anyway, Dr. Andrew diagnosed correctly--wish he would have pursued that profession!) Becky sent me to Effingham for 2 Cat scans and blood work, the worst part of the cat scans was getting on and off the table--until the put the contrast stuff in. I had never had that stuff, I had never had a cat scan. The tech warned me I would feel like I was having a hot flash, I would feel like I was peeing the bed, I would get a bad taste in my mouth. All I got was the bad taste, but I had drank about 24 ounces of this awful grape junk for them before hand, it mixed with the contrast made me want to puke. I thought I was going to, but I didn't. That was probably about the time I really thought you could have peeled me off the railroad tracks--I was toast.

By the time we left Effingham, it was 5 o'clock, all the test results were supposed to be back by 6, at 6:45 Becky called me with the information (bless her heart for sticking around for me). I have a nasty kidney infection and even though they couldn't find the stone, they all know it is or at least was there. I went to her office at 7 and she gave me a strong antibiotic and medicine to help me pass the stone. She threatened me about drinking enough liquids, if I can't get enough liquids, I have to go to the hospital and have an IV. I laughed and told her I had to speak at a parent fair on Friday and that I was planning on going back to work sometime Thursday. She laughed and said she hoped I felt like it. I said, I had no choice, I would feel like it.

So, here I sit, I haven't sit in a straight up chair since Tuesday, I have to admit, it isn't comfy, but I will survive it, I have every intention of spending the afternoon at work, for one thing, I need handouts for tomorrow for the workshop.

I will start working diligently on "ways to prevent a kidney stone" I never want another week like this one!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I feel for you. I had a kidney infection once and I thought it was worse than childbirth. Get better soon

Ashley said...

I really hope that you are feeling better!!!!