Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Maybe I'm a grown up

I was one of those kids that could never be put in anything white and expect it to stay that way more than 20 minutes. I bit the bullet though a few weeks ago and bought a pair of beautiful winter white slacks. Today was the first time I have had the nerve to where them--my main thought was, more than likely, I wouldn't be leaving the building today which at least increased my odds (a little) of them not getting muddy.

I tried to chicken out two or three times, knowing that if I didn't wear them today, I would have to put them on tomorrow and I WOULD be leaving the building, so after much debate with myself, I put them on. I went and got a cup of coffee, almost, but didn't slop it on me. Then came lunch, I was doing great, made sure my pants were safely under my napkin as well as the table cloth. THEN, Ed, one of our weatherization guys, was sitting next to me and dropped a fork. He leaned over to pick it up and almost fell out of his chair, I had just put my hand on a freshly poured cup of coffee, I would have been the target had Ed completely slid out of his chair. We were listening to a speaker so I had already scooted away from the table a bit, my pants exposed. Ed said, "I had visions of me pulling the whole table down!" I said, "Ed, I only had visions of me pouring the coffee on my pants when you hit me on your way down".

Then to finish off the evening, we are at a "networking" reception, where they are serving
hor'dourves, egg rolls with sweet and sour sauce and chicken strips with honey mustard sauce.
This is one of those cash bar situations and since I don't drink, I usually get some kind of juice, tonight, I got cranberry juice. Would you believe the bartender bumped the glass as she was putting it on the counter and it went all over the counter- but it didn't touch the pants! I ate an egg roll and a chicken strip, with sauce on both and successfully protected the pants.

Then my boss and two of the other ladies that we are with decided to go across the street to Bennigan's for dinner--we were leaving the building, it was 7:00 and my white pants were still spotless, I would call it a good day even if I got something on them there.

Deal is, I just got "home" and changed into my pj's. After careful inspection I am thoroughly convinced...my white pants are still white, not one drip of anything.....I am almost 42 years old and will honestly tell you, this is the first time in my life that has ever happened.

As the title says: Maybe, just maybe, I'm finally a grown up!


Disclaimer: sorry if this post bored you to tears--I am at that point myself, Idol is on, I am homesick and decided telling the world that I am a klutz at heart was just the perfect thing to do to kill time.

2 comments:

Blair Bunch said...

Mindy, I'm glad you are having a great time. Be careful and I hope you continue to enjoy your stay! I like the pants story! -Melissa

Sarah D said...

I love that story Mindy and I can so relate.

If there is a spill to be made, food to be dropped, it is usually me doing it and it lands on my clothes!

With the baby I now walk around with spit-up on my shoulder and don't even know it.

Kudos to you for wearing the white pants!!