Friday, March 20, 2009

At Last...


Today was the day, I finally brought home my KitchenAid Bowl-Lift Professional Heavy Duty mixer that I have been wanting, well, forever but badly since a year ago last Christmas.
As always, there is a story. Andrew was 27 when we got married, he was (and is) quite a cook and baker, he actually used to decorate cakes for some of the other associate's showers, special occasions, etc. Anyway, when we got married, he had a very nice, Sunbeam stand mixer. It was very truly a great stand mixer, it's only problem was...it wasn't a KitchenAid. When I worked at Richard's Farm, we had a KitchenAid Bowl-Lift mixer, and I loved it and I wanted one, even back then.
A year ago last Christmas Eve, Robert and I were making homemade marshmallows, I had JUST made the statement (in front of Andrew) that if we could ever kill the old Sunbeam (at the time going on 20 years old), I would buy me a KitchenAid. Well, Andrew went to bed because he had worked all night and Robert and I proceeded with the marshmallows. All of a sudden, the marshmallows got huge and before I knew it, they had ran up the beaters into the actual housing of the mixer--I had successful put old Sunbeam to it's death. Robert just HAD to run in our bedroom and tell Andrew I killed his mixer--his sleepy reply--"she did it on purpose". Premeditated wasn't really the word I would have used, any way it wasn't "consciously premeditated".
From that point forward it was "I want a KitchenAid" but I couldn't handle just getting the $189 special at Walmart, no, the more I thought about it, the more I knew this was my one chance to get THE very mixer I had wanted all my life. My mom pulled an old antique mixer out of her closet and I have used it for the past year and a half, counting my pennies and waiting patiently.
The only problem with me counting my pennies is everytime I would have a good grip on saving for the mixer, something came along that needed my savings worse. So, Andrew's bonus came yesterday, he told me I had sacrificed long enough and we were going to get my mixer. Funny, how I took the day off on the very day that bonus came, huh??
So, last night at 8:30, my new mixer found it's home, hopefully, for the rest of my life. It is actually 3 and a half inches taller than a regular KitchenAid tilt-head so I have to move my shelves up just a bit, that's okay, they needed a good cleaning anyway.
Just glad it's home and I can't wait until tonight when I actually get to use it (I beat water with it last night just so I could watch it work). Andrew said I was worse than a little kid getting a new bike at Christmas, eventhough there is snow on the ground, the kid is going to find a way to ride.

No comments: