Friday, March 20, 2009

Our "Date Day"

As obvious in the previous post, Andrew and I took off yesterday and went shopping, destination: Evansville.

We went downtown for lunch, there is a little place we found years ago that is an "authentic" deli--Emge's Deli. There are so many choices to pick from that I get overwhelmed but we both chose these mile-high reubens and ice tea--total lunch= $10.80. The place is always packed and just has that really neat atmosphere about it.









After lunch, we decided to check out the Walmart Neighborhood Market that was in the area. When they first came out with these, they told us they would be in downtown locations, and toward residential areas that were closer to downtown. Okay, I had it in my head that it would be in a storefront on mainstreet, I was a bit disappointed, it was more like our neighborhood IGA, which when I really thought about it, was exactly what it was supposed to be, it did sit in the middle of a community, people could walk from the apartment buildings next door to get their groceries. It was basically a Walmart that was all groceries.


We had decided earlier in the day that we would trek to Owensboro KY for dinner. Moonlite Bar-B-Q is a downright institution in Kentucky. They have a barbecue buffet that is to die for, sliced mutton, chopped mutton, sliced beef, chopped beef, sliced pork, pork ribs and chicken are all on the buffet (as is fried chicken, fried shrimp and catfish), along with okra and tomatoes, navy beans, macaroni and cheese, baked beans, corn muffins, and so on and on...then there is about 10 different pies and cobblers and oh my...it's just a great place to go. If you ever get down that way, check it out, it is really less than 45 minutes from Evansville and I feel it is well worth the trip.

It was great to get away for the day and I didn't even think about work (okay, the thought entered my mind a couple of times, but left quickly). It was a great day off and good to get to spend some time with Andrew. It seems like here lately we have been meeting each other as the other one is walking out the door. Glad to have some "reconnect" time!










3 comments:

Blair Bunch said...

Awesome!

Sarah D said...

No food pictures?

I have seen the BBQ place on the Food Network!

Browningblog said...

Nope, sorry no food pictures, I thought I took food pictures the first time I was at Moonlite, but I can't seem to find them. You'll have to go see for yourself!