Saturday, August 11, 2012

Vacation!

So I have the Go-Go's song running through my head right now but that is not a bad motivator for 7 in the morning.  I think I am actually in vacation mode already, I slept until almost 7, I haven't done that forever. So, what am I doing on vacation?  Well, first off it's a staycation....my FIL's girlfriend pointed out the other night that we venture out enough that I don't really need a vacation to take a trip and she is right. I made several trips this summer for work including one to New Orleans so I'm good. Also, with Andrew having a new job, he has no vacation time, Robert starts back to school on Thursday and has to work every night this week and me, well, I technically still have to work Tuesday evening anyway so I have made TONS of plans for this week. Most of them involve finishing my summer bucket list and some just involve things that need done. Either way, I am excited to switch gears and be full time Holly Homemaker this week, oh and I'm planning on turning 45 this week too. Happy me!  Truly.

 I have had a problem forever with "making it to 45". See, my great-granddad died a month and three days from being 65, my granddad died a month and three days from being 55 and my dad died a month and three days from being 45. Granted, I don't believe in "fate", I believe God has a plan and most of the time, I know I shouldn't try to guess what that plan is but let me tell you, I was very, very nervous 10 years ago when I turned 35 but not as bad as I was this year. I know I am female, but I have no brothers, technically--Mom lost a child before I came along, she was told he was a boy. Back in the days before sonograms, she was told I was a boy too.....my growing up years may have seen some tomboy come through but it's been forever since I could have been mistaken for "one of the boys"---which makes me think of Grant, one of my "little brothers" who lived down the road--he has been gone for 10 years now, sure do miss him! Back on focus--the first time I counted back to where a month and three days would be, I came to Friday, July 13th.......again, I don't believe in superstitions or fate or any of it but really? Then I realized there were 31 days in July so that would put it on Saturday the 14th. I knew all day long that day what day it was and when I fell into bed that night, I shared with Andrew that I had made it. I know he thought I was weird but oh well, wasn't the first time, won't be the last....

So, Thursday I turn 45 and I have decided a few things......I want to call it my  midlife crisis but my friend Ken informed me not too long ago that we are going to live to be 120 so we can't have a midlife crisis until 60.....Anyway I'm gonna tell you something that I normally don't share. I have decided to stop being me on the outside. I like me on the inside, I don't like the outside. I was going to weight watchers when I was diagnosed with the UC as well as the diabetes. Weight Watchers was easy for the diabetes, not so much for the UC. Everytime I ate a vegetable, I got sick and so I quit WW. I had lost about 20 lbs when I quit and I gained it all back, I blame it mostly on the prednisone, but it was probably just me not watching what I was doing. The day my girlfriends were here, one of them mentioned she had lost 40 lbs going to Weight Watchers. She looked great and yes, I was envious.

So, the next Monday, I trotted myself right back to the meetings. I don't know how many times I have joined WW and it doesn't matter. I have decided this time would be different, right down to the fact that I am admitting I am going. So, when I decide to quit I will have to share it with the world and I am not so good at admitting defeat. I am hoping this will keep me on track. I have a bit more incentive for myself this time. I may never be skinny, never have been so why think I would be now but I want to be healthier and I want to look nice. I also want a convertible....yep, that's what I said, a convertible. I even have it picked out, a Chrysler 200 Hardtop, Dark Auburn Pearl. Now, all my life, my mom has been the "fat cop". When I was at home, I could drop weight like who wouldn't have it because she would start bugging me about it and I would get it off. The summer before Andrew and I got together, I had gained about 30 pounds, she started in on me and the day we got married, I had lost 35 lbs bringing me to 145 lbs, the smallest I had been since grade school. ANYWAY, when I told her I wanted a convertible, she laughed and said she thought I would look funny in it. I know she didn't mean it to be hurtful.......okay, yes, yes she did but I she knows me and she loves me and she really does worry about my weight. She is the first to admit, she is selfish with me because she needs me and I know she knew this was a new challenge for me so my goal is to maybe not even make it all the way to what Weight Watcher's goals are but I want to be out of plus sized clothes before I allow myself to trade in my van for a convertible. I am down to having NO excuses for not making this happen. I have a handle on what vegetables and fruits I can get by with as well as being able to exercise most of the time so here we go. Whew, that was a big one to admit. I told the girls at work the other day and I normally don't do that either. This time IS different. (hopefully I have nerve enough to push the "publish" button here in a few minutes).

So, that's a good blog to start off vacation, I will probably blog progress reports for my bucket list this week. Andrew and I are going to buy a freezer today because we ordered a half a beef. I love finally be able to afford to do stuff that saves us money! We are also (the He of We) getting ready to build the headboard for our bed!  We had originally decided we wanted a headboard made out of one of our old doors but the more I looked at it, the more I decided I really didn't like it for our bedroom so today he is buying wood just to make me a headboard and footboard. I can't wait!

Happy Saturday y'all!

No comments: