Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Super Simple Alfredo

One of my all time favorite recipes and really simple.

I found the sauce recipe in a Philadelphia Cream Cheese cookbook years ago and it has been a staple ever since. I add different things to make it different meals, shrimp, crab meat, Italian veggies; my menu tonight called for blackened chicken.

Philly Alfredo

1/2 cup butter
1 8 oz. package cream cheese
1/2 cup milk
3/4 cup Parmesan cheese.

Cut butter and cream cheese into chunks, cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until smooth, add milk and cheese, continue stirring until smooth.

That's it, takes about 15 minutes. Serve over cooked pasta. I used Penne tonight. Robert doesn't like fettuccine or spaghetti so I normally do shorter pastas, but that's a personal thing. You can also use light cream cheese as well as light margarine and Parmesan, I have done this when I am dieting hard and it is still good, not as good as using all regular, but good and really, the sauce is so rich a little goes a long way. (Serves 4-6)

My blackened chicken was a cheater thing tonight (hey, I AM on vacation). I normally buy bags of chicken breasts when they are on sale and cook one bag off the bat and cut them up and freeze them so they are quick, but I also buy the precooked chicken strips when I have coupons and I did a month or so ago so I had a bag of these in the freezer. I spiced them up with a little Cajun seasoning and threw them in a hot skillet for a few minutes. Then, to get the "TGIFriday's" effect, I chopped tomatoes for the edge, little parsley on top, pop a piece of garlic bread on the side and we have supper.


No comments: