Sunday, January 1, 2012

The Great Escape 2011--Empty Nest Edition--Day 1

Andrew and I celebrated our 20th annivesary on the 6th of December. We planned a getaway for New Year's weekend to celebrate. In the past, it has always been the "three peas in a pod" tour but Robert wanted to work so Andrew and I sat out on an adventure all on our own. We didn't take a vacation this summer and honestly the only time we had gotten away at all was when my father-in-law's girlfriend passed away so it was high time.
We have had a great time so far, one more day to go.....but highlights so far....

Day 1:


Safier Mediterraian Grill

Andrew's lunch Kabob and Grape Leaves






My lunch Shawarma

and hummos

Then, Andrew's main annivesary present: a trip to Ali Center:

I have to say, I don't think this was what we expected. I honestly believe I like Muhammad Ali more BEFORE we went. There are a lot of things about him I didn't know, or was too young to remember. Hopefully he had became older and wiser but I wouldn't want some of the things displayed about me that was displayed about him. It was interesting, let's put it that way.

For Dinner, I found a native Louisville restaurant that has branched out into multiple places around Louisville. When we saw the food, we understood why.

I didn't take pictures of the appetizers but their specialty is Fried Green Tomatoes---I believe they were the best I ever had.

We then ordered 10 oz Blackened Steaks, what came out on our plates were nothing short of roasts--cooked to perfection and smothered in mushrooms and peppers. Quite honestly the best steak either of us have had for a while:





We followed that up by a trip to Oxmoor Mall, mainly to walk some of this off and then to Lights Under Louisville.  Apparently there are 17 miles of manmade caverns under Louisville, At Christmas, they decorate them. It was amazing and being in a cave, it was around 58 degrees, so eventhough it was cold and rainy outside, we rolled the windows down and had a perfect view:









No comments: