Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Back to Normal--kind of

I have to admit, Sunday I wasn't ready to go back to work. Yesterday morning though, I was up and around a little after 4 right on schedule. So, I dropped Robert at school and was on my way. I had cheated most of my vacation and kept an eye on my work e-mail as well as my link to my LIHEAP work so I knew what I was facing. Yesterday was pretty smooth all day long. Today, however was a different story.

Did anyone happen to watch Knight Rider? I know it's cheesy and I haven't honestly watched the whole episode but I have a 16 year old grease monkey in the house so anything with 4 wheels gets watched, over and over and over. Anyway, in this episode, there was a computer virus, a virus that at one time had teeth showing on monitors and was sending bolts of electricity out of the system. Today, I swore I came face to face with the same virus in the Charleston office.

W have 7 computers all together in that office, 6 hooked to the internet through a gateway from the 7th, meaning the 7th one is really the 1st one and the only one that is hooked straight to the internet. This computer has been acting up, badly. On top of everything else, it can't stay on our online program that it needs to be on. Funny thing...all the computers that are hooked TO it are fine. We had the guy from MASS computers there all afternoon Friday, he left scratching his head but thought he had it semi-fixed, well this morning, our girl calls, stuck again. So, in my spare time at work I am the IT person so away I go to Charleston. One of the other "weird" complaints was parts were missing from her system like not being able to get to her internet tools. There are some obvious places to look to fix this, none of them panned out. So, I took her one of the laptops I use for classes and was going to, if everything else failed, just hook up the laptop and bring her tower home so I could clean it out and start over. When we hooked my perfectly good laptop up to her internet connection, all of the sudden it had the same problems. Okay, never, never, never heard of a virus that could live in a modem but now I am beginning to wonder. To top it off, I brought the tower home, hooked it up in my office and it is FINE!! Strange days indeed. I have a partner in crime in this particular office, I called him before I left work and let him chew on all this info too. Tomorrow, he will start working on changing out modems but this has been a really odd one, I think it is funny that MASS didn't even find it (no offense, I love these guys, but it makes me feel good that I'm not the only one that gets stumped!) I always come home thinking I will be glad if tomorrow is calmer, but truth is, I think I like the puzzling days the best. Sure keeps my job interesting!

No comments: