Sunday, September 14, 2008

Marching Eagles take 2nd at Metro East!!

What a day!!! The Marching Eagles did their first "two-fer" since Robert has been in band and it became a busy day for all of us. Of course, the highlight of the day is living up to ILMarching.com's predictions that we would take second last night to Mater Dei. If you have ever seen Mater Dei's band website, you will know those kids don't hardly get any summer at all for all the camps they do. We are VERY proud!! The Auxillary (Flag girls for those of you who don't speak field show) got best in class also.

We placed 6th at Belleville, we weren't expecting anything there in the first place, they had us classed with many larger bands. We had never been there before either. I'm not speaking directly for our director, but she has mentioned liking to just get out of the gate and get some critiques as to where to go from where we are.

The kids went to Belleville, dressed, warmed up, marched, undressed, ate, got on the bus, went to O'fallon, had a band meeting, dressed, warmed up, marched, undressed and finally about 6:00 last night had some real time to relax.

Andrew and I ( me being the "I have to see them all" person) got to Belleville at 11:00, watched the competition knowing the awards were at 3:30 and our kids performed again at 4:45 but I think I am superwoman and can do it all so.... We realized at 3:00 that if we moved the van to a bank parking lot behind the field, we would be ready to drive away as soon as we heard results. We only missed two bands and I hate to be this way but they were class A bands, if I had to miss any, that would be my choice ( sorry any class A people out there). We ran through Taco Bell, got huge drinks, into the parking lot, recorded all the scores then set Georgia (my GPS) to get us to O'fallon asap. O'fallon was getting concerned there would be rain so they started the contest TWO MINUTES early. If they would have started on time, we wouldn't have missed a thing, we were about 6 feet from the ticket booth when Carbondale went on the field, we still saw them just not from the stands.

What a great, great, day!!! I am so proud of these kids, the show is coming along, their next actual competition is the 4th of October, basically against a lot of the same bands. I honestly believe when they get the show cleaned and they are secure with it, they will be unstoppable!!

2 comments:

Blair Bunch said...

I really enjoy watching the band perform! I hope Ray and I get to watch a competition this year!!

Mrs. Carr said...

Way to go Marching Eagle. You make me proud to be an alum!