Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Little Brothers and "Dirty Magazines"

Our Pastor's wife has just posted on her post about getting a magazine in the mail wrapped in brown paper, she had ordered a Journal of Christian Nursing and got a Journal on Genital Disease. It reminded me of a story.

When I was growning up, my sister was ten years older than me and then the three boys down the road, the Fulton boys, were 2, 4 and 6 years younger than me. Of course, this is Jon, Grant and Jason. They were the closest things to brothers I ever had. Grant's birthday was in February, and there have been many memories randomly popping in my head. Reading Melissa's post brought back the day when 3 or 4 of my friends were at my house and we were all laying on the bed and floor in my room looking at "Seventeen". Grant had came down for a visit--we did that a lot growing up, I lived at their house that much too. Anyway, Grant went home and told his mom he was looking at dirty magazines at my house. And as any good mom would do, Grant's mom, aka Nanny Fulton, called my mom. Okay, so to a 15 year old girl, looking at bras and underwear in a magazine ad isn't a big deal but to an 11 year old boy---- (from then on, I hid my magazines from him!) then there was the time we were skating in my garage, my mom had put up black lights and a disco ball and all that- Grant was the first one to point out that all of us girls were wearing white shirts and that you could see our bras right through them. He was definately the life of most of my parties- Man, I miss him but I am sure glad I have all those great and funny memories.

5 comments:

Sarah D said...

Mindy, I am going to e-mail a Jason a link to this to make sure he reads it. I know he will get a kick out of it.

Rebekah said...

What a great post! it is so nice to hear those great stories about Grant! He is sorely missed!

Blair Bunch said...

Good Memories! I never got to meet him but Ray's family adored him.

Nanny Fulton said...

Mindy,
I just now opened your blog and of course am crying. I miss him so much, but wasn't he one in a million! Like it or not, Grant always said what was on his mind.
I had totaly forgotten about the 17 mag. Those boys!
Thanks for bringing us some memories even tho my heart is breaking. I can't believe it has been 61/2 years since he left us. He would be 37 this month.
Love ya,

Nanny
PS. Can you believe Jon is turning 40! the 17th

kellyhemrich said...

Grant was a great guy to go to school with! Our class had some boys in it that were a bit of a challange. I'm sure all the teachers loved Grant- he was always well behaved.
It seems that he was born on the 29th- so he rarely had a "real" birthday.