Wednesday, October 29, 2008

What is Wrong with People???

I have something on my mind that I just can't shake, I can't believe what is going on in Nebraska. The Nebraska congress passed a "safe haven" law earlier this year. The law stated that a person could drop a child off at any hospital with no questions or investigations and no risk of prosecution. The law was inteneded to keep babies out of dumpsters and children protected from harm- there was no age limit just "minors". Since September 13th, there have been 21 kids dropped off, yesterday was the lastests, a 15-year old girl. The youngest has been 1 year old, but most range from 6- 15.
I was telling my mom this today and she said it didn't really surprise her with the economy. Sorry, Mom, we had a rough time (yes, it was REALLY rough) when I was 15, but I truly don't think you ever thought of giving me away...I don't understand these people and it cuts me to the core. I want so badly just to drive to Nebraska and bring every one of these kids home. I am literally sick today and I think it is just because of this, I cannot imagine driving off and leaving Robert standing there watching me drive off...how could they? Why would they, really?

5 comments:

Blair Bunch said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Blair Bunch said...

Sorry, bad spelling errors. Isn't it sad that some children don't have people that love them.

Mrs. Carr said...

This is a tricky situation...I would rather see those kids be placed in temporary foster care and get a chance at the life they deserve than potentially live with abuse or extreme poverty. At least they aren't being left on the street to survive on their own...on the other hand, since when do we let parents abandon their children and all their parental responsibilities without any repercussions?

Browningblog said...

My high schoolers had a long discussion about this last night. They all agreed this just isn't the way to do it. There has never been laws against a family calling Child and Family Services themselves and saying "I'm in over my head and I can't do this". Believe me, there is TONS of help out there to try to keep families together if they want to be together. If the parents are going through something temporary around here, Baptist Family Services can take the children, place them with family if they have any that could take them (and provide a stipend to that family to help the added expenses) or at least ease the trasition to a different home, either temporary or permanent. It isn't that part that bothers me. It is the "I don't care enough to go through the steps that make it easier on you, so I am dumping you on the curb at the hospital.People are even driving these kids to Nebraska from other states.

Unknown said...

That story just breaks my heart. There are way way way too many people out there who would give anything to have children but cant. When will people realize that having child is truly a gift and it is not intended to be "regifted" on their terms. People should understand what they signed up for when they take the chance of becoming parents.