Thursday, October 9, 2008

Oh how I LOVE Awana night!

Wednesday was such a bad, bad afternoon at work. Our glorious LIHEAP.net system was down at the state level which meant as hard as I tried, I couldn't get my work done. When I don't get my work done, people go without power, last night, about 25 families in our 9 county area was without power. Thanks to the wonderful world of technology, no longer can we pick up the phone, call the vendor and say, "Hey, we are going to pay the bill, turn them back on". No, it HAS to go through the system. When the system is down, it can't go and it didn't. I came home feeling a bit defeated by the day. Then came AWANA.......



For two hours, once a week, I get to have these glorious teenagers, I normally have 9, there are 11 that I claim, last night I had 8. They amaze me. They are just quite simply good kids who have a genuine yearning to learn more about God. We have been discussing those deep questions that everybody asks at some point in their lives- Where did I come from, why am I here, where am I going? We have learned that we all have a worldview. At their age, they are just now starting to form their worldview. As each one of us turns on the news each day and hears what's happening, you mentally form an opinion in your head. That is your personal worldview. We have been concentrating on the fact that this worldview is based upon your intermost beliefs and that, being a Christian, it is VERY important to know what GOD's worldview is. We have deep biblical discussions, and the kids get it, there is no doubt about it. At the end of each lesson there are questions, they can answer them in no time flat. I can actually see these kids learning and growning in God's grace......it replaces all the bad things that happens at work, it replaces all the stupid little problems I may think I have. Then, when I look back on my own life, I realize, everything that has happened, was FOR me, not TO me. You know, all I am going to finish this with, I realize we are on the right track when two of the guys asked for prayer last night for another guy that has been being a bully. It has stuck in their minds that what humans can't change, God can. Wow!

1 comment:

Nanny Fulton said...

M,
I think you and Andrew and your Mom are doing a great job with these kids.
It is amazing how a good AWANA night can lift your spirits. I finally got in with the Dr at the pain clinic in Mattoon and he thinks I need a shot in the spine, BUT, he is going on vacation and can't do it until Oct. 28. Oh well 3 more weeks of pain to endure, but have had it most of the summer anyway.
But back to Awana, we had a great night at church and have an amazing bunch of kids all wanting to learn. God is good.
S