Tuesday, December 17, 2013

The Second Week of Christmas

What a great weekend, following a great week. Work has been a little crazy but what's new. We are putting the final touches on the email server and I am hoping to see it up and running flawlessly before I try vacation. Wednesday evening, I helped with the Cubbies at AWANA, talk about culture shock!!  Going from High Schoolers to 3-4 year olds is, well, yeah, like going from High Schoolers to 3-4 year olds. The questions aren't as complex but the energy level is about triple. I loved every minute of it though and am really glad I got to help with AWANA again. I miss getting to help but it was my decision to give up the high school class, so it was my doings. This week is the Christmas program for AWANA and I have to tell you, the Cubbies behave far better than I expected.

Friday morning, Andrew and I took off to St. Louis. We were meeting Nila and Rich there that evening and I wanted to take in a little shopping first. Of course, Andrew being connected with Goodwill, we had heard more about the Goodwill Outlets, there is one in St. Louis and I was anxious to see it. Sure enough, it didn't disappoint. I found a lot of finds, but my find of the day was a resin snowman bird feeder, I'm guessing at least a $30 purchase from someplace. I got clothes, a crocheted bed skirt (which I am totally in love with) a blanket, books, cookbooks, and dishes. Total came to $12.07, I would have jumped on the bird feeder for $12 so I was ecstatic.

Last year, when it was just me and Sis, I finagled a suite at Drury Inn. This year, with the hubs going, we needed two rooms.  When I went to make the reservations, regular rooms were $117, Suites were $179. I told Sis to trust me that I would end up getting the suites without the $179 price tag. So I called to book the rooms, getting a better rate over the phone at $99 each. About a month ago, I got an email for a FREE upgrade at check-in. It's always a gamble but I have never had it not work. I had never tried to get TWO rooms upgraded though. I had already decided if I could only get one suite, it would be for them because they just don't go like we do. No questions asked though, we got two upgraded suites for $99 each. Oh I love Drury Inn.

So, when they got there we went and had dinner at Lotawata Creek, we had been told about this last year but the number of cars in the parking lot scared us off. On top of that, it was starting to snow and people seemed to be staying home. We drove out to The Way of Lights at Our Lady of the Snows. Sis and I had seen the laser shows there and that was one thing she wanted Rich to see. We enjoyed the shows as well as the lights and then headed into St. Louis for some Ted Drewes.

Saturday morning we headed to Soulard Market, I have a friend who is a vendor there. I had never been and was kind of upset with myself that I had never been. I WILL go back and I WILL take my covered bridge cart when I do. Besides the unbelievable price on produce, they had a spice shop, homemade soaps, jewelry....hats, just a fun time and CHEAP!!!  That was a lot of fun, and the icing on the cake was getting to see my friend Robb. We ran Richard's Refinery together, in a different life. I hadn't seen him face to face since I was pregnant with Robert. Thank you Lord for facebook :-)

We went to the JC Penney outlet next, sorely disappointed. They have jacked up all the prices this year apparently because they are closing. No bargains and we left empty handed. First time I have ever left that place with nothing.

Our last stop before heading home was the Spaghetti Factory. Who would have guessed that? Okay, most of you probably were waiting for me to mention it. I have to tell you though, the food is fantastic but it is better at Joe's here in town. It is just the ambiance that I have to have from the OSF. I think I could live there.

So a little snow didn't stop us, though we saw 4 vehicles in the ditch coming home, including a semi totally on it's side. Our personal trip home was uneventful, with Andrew sleeping the entire way.

Sunday we got to go caroling, I love, love, love that night. There were about 30 of us out and just the look on some of the recipient's faces, yep, it was just like Christmas....which is the point.  We ended the evening with a party at Cherilea's. Just a great time celebrating spreading the true meaning of Christmas.

My only regret is the season is going too quickly, I can't believe Christmas is a week from tomorrow, but on a brighter note, that means I start vacation a week from today!!!

Happy Tuesday and Merry Christmas!

No comments: