Tuesday, December 31, 2013

2014 Goals---for all to see

The thing about a blog is you have this great way to remember what you said and more importantly, MOST of the time, you can remember how you were feeling when you said it. 2013 was a great year for us, lots and lots and even lots more changes, but when I am looking over the grand scheme of things, it was just good.

I didn't even share at the New Year last year that Andrew had JUST been laid off, in a lot of ways it was scary but honestly, once again, God is good and I just wasn't that bothered by it. I knew he had a plan and sure enough, April came and he got to do something he loves. I LOVE that he loves his job. He loves the people he works with and he loves the prospects of not only the future of others, but his own future with Goodwill as well. It is a good match. I get such a kick out of him, he gets so excited when he has had something really cool donated. Not just because it is really cool but he knows someones life can change just a little because of that donation. I know that's a cool feeling!

Of course, our baby boy graduated from OCC in May, traveled to Seattle WA by himself in June and started his Dream Job in July. He started on his "dream house" in August, though I have been told there are a few 2x4's in the walls, that says, "I HATE THIS HOUSE!" just because they constantly take one step forward and two steps back. Original plans were to hopefully be in by spring. I'm thinking he may be sleeping there by spring, late spring, but I don't believe they will have siding, roof, and all the inside done until closer to his birthday. I guess the thing that thrills me the most though is that he and his dad are doing this hand in hand and I know, when it's done, it is going to be more than anyone thought possible.

2013 brought a new job title for me, though I had been being groomed for the job for sometime, it is still scary to all the sudden not have that extra person on the ladder that gets to tell me if I am being stupid...I still have that person, it's just that now, I have to have my Executive Director tell me that, instead of just my department head. I also am starting out 2014 down 55 lbs from when I started Weight Watchers, about 30 of that came off this year. It doesn't sound like a lot but when you take in to consideration that I spent the first 4 months of the year on enough prednizone to choke a horse, I'm not unhappy with it at all. Of course, I plan to continue losing this year.

So, this is not a resolution list, this is a list of things that I know we can get accomplished, if we just keep our eye on the goal.

My first priority is my Lord and Savior and what I want to do for Him this year. Last Sunday at church, our pastor had a message basically on this. The principal points were Worship, Work and Witness. I honestly love my morning quiet time with God. I haven't missed it one day in over 2 years. I am to the point now where I honestly think I would just expect the whole day to go wrong if I did. Not that I really believe God works that way, but I know I work that way. The month of November, I read through the book of Psalms, just because there are so many "thankful" psalms. In December, I decided to read through the 4 gospels, reading 3 chapters in one book one morning, three in the next book the next morning and so on and so forth. I finished Matthew, the longest one, on Monday. Funny thing is before I decided to do this, I picked up a book at Goodwill called the 25 days of Christmas. It was a devotional book to prepare for Christmas and I thought it would be a nice addition to my morning time. Little did I know, the book did exactly what I was doing. Starting with the birth of Christ and then reminding us daily what He did while He was here, what He came to do and what He is doing for us right now. I have said numerous times that this has been one of the best Christmas' ever and I think it was because I started out each day remembering WHY we celebrate Christmas.

I decided one of the things I wanted to learn was more about the Minor Prophets. I have read through the Bible in a year numerous times but this year I want to dig a little deeper and I have to tell you, every time I read through the Minor Prophets, I spend a lot of time wondering what this verse or that verse means, so I ordered a devotional book to go with them. I downloaded it on my ipad which is an experiment. I normally don't take any electronics with me to my quiet time, if it proves to be a distraction, the next thing I study, I will buy the hard copy. So, getting through that Bible study is the first thing on my list.

The second thing is to be bolder about my witness, Ben mentioned Sunday that we need to witness on a daily basis and I do get plenty of opportunities and I feel a lot of times I do but I'm going to seek more opportunities this year and try harder to get my friends who used to come to church back in church and those who have never came to at least try it out. I know my biggest witness is my actions so I plan on guarding them closely this year. Think twice, speak once. A saying that never fails.

Now on to "me" stuff. Of course, I want to continue losing weight and getting healthier. I have tried twice and failed to do a daily workout calendar so I am loosening the reigns a bit and going to try to work up to that. For now, I am setting a goal to exercise at least 30 minutes 5 times a week. That gives me two days to not exercise for 30 minutes, though WW would like to see at least 10 minutes on those days and I could probably come up with that. I have a grand goal that I am buying myself either a Chrysler Sebring convertible or a Chrysler 200 convertible when I get to a size 12, I am in 16's right now, so I am hoping by my birthday to have my car--it probably won't be new but I want brown or tan and hardtop so after I get there, it will take me a while to find.

Of course, the no brainer is to finish Robert's house. I am hoping to get a few things done around here before 2015 hits though. The tree needs to come out of the front yard to make way for a grander entrance. I still need new countertops, backsplash and sink in the kitchen. I want to redo the front bathroom and of course, when Robert leaves, we are making his room the new guest room and the guest room an exercise room. So, lots of goals there. There are more, but if we get to these I will be very happy.

I want to spend more time crocheting and scrapbooking this year. Those are "me" things too.

I also want to be more organized, why is it organized people never think they are organized enough? I am a very organized person, but there is always room for improvement.

So, that's my goals, as I look at them, nothing earth-shattering or life-changing but things that we can do nonetheless.

Happy 2014!

No comments: