Wednesday, December 31, 2008

It's Official


I'm OLD! Last night, I watched, (with much glee, I may add) the Kennedy Center Honors. I honestly remember sitting through this as a child at my grandmother's house thinking I wish she could get more than one channel on the tv. A few years ago, I glanced at it again, thinking I knew a couple of the people mentioned but didn't really have that big of thing for them.

Last night though... George Jones,Morgan Freeman, Twila Tharp, Roger Daltrey, Pete Townshend, and Barbara Streisand. All of them fabulous in my eyes.

It was a great, touching tribute to all of them but I think my favorite part of the whole night was when Rob Thomas was singing Teenage Wasteland and the NY Police Department and Fire Departments were singing backup. My second being when Idina Menzel sang for Barbara Streisand. It was just a great program.

The George Jones tribute was wonderful too, my mom and dad loved George Jones, they used to have all his 8-tracks and we would listen to them endlessly in the car. I thought it was interesting that they mentioned how his drinking ruined his marriage to Tammy Wynette. I felt a bit sorry for his present wife who was sitting with him, but this period was part of his history so it had to be told.

All of this while sitting on the couch, crocheting, yep, I think it's official.....

3 comments:

Sarah D said...

Mindy, I am old as well!!

I watched and enjoyed the show while trying to get Baby Harrison to sleep.

The NY police and fireman singing was my favorite part too!!

What an interesting, talented group.

I was fans of all of them (like you). I don't think it means we are old, it just means we have very well-rounded tastes in entertainers.

Jamee said...

I'm not old, and I watched it and enjoyed it very much. I cried when Alan Jackson sang, I think Mr. Jones also sheded a tear.

My husband on the other hand, who is old, said "who are all of these wierd-o's" Then he saw Ms. Streisand and had to tell me the whole story of how Will Fritchle loves her.

So, I must agree with Sarah, we are just well rounded.

Browningblog said...

Thanks girls, I am starting to think all the honorees were just exceptionally cool!