Friday, July 17, 2009

Catching up

What a week (again).

Andrew has been having an ongoing ordeal with his back, if you want to know the truth, he has had pain in some form or another for the most part of the last 15 years. This last episode actually started while I was in the hospital with MY back, April 7th, 8th, & 9th. It had gotten gradually worse until he finally went to the doctor about 6 weeks ago. I kept wanting him to get in to see the doctor that "fixed" me. Apparently, that was a slow process for his ex-doctor. After having x-rays one week, then putting him on a medicine that didn't work, then a couple weeks later, having an MRI, and not even letting him have any more pain pills. Andrew finally convinced him to call Dr. Pardo's office. That was on Wednesday of last week. On Friday, Andrew called to see why we hadn't heard from them....they couldn't find a number for him. Hello????? We told them he was at the pain clinic in St. Anthony's. I was out doing an outreach at a Sr. site when Andrew called and told me that. I, of course, had my laptop so I looked up the number, right then and there. Well, on MONDAY, Andrew called them at 8:00 because we still hadn't heard from them. They say, "We got you an appointment for August 10th.". I was like, "No Way!!"

Soooooo, I called the pain clinic myself, told them Andrew couldn't even stand up straight, was in tons of pain and Dr. Pardo fixed me and I just wanted him to be able to fix Andrew. The reply "Can you be here at 3:30 this afternoon?" "Yes, oh YES, we can!!". So we went, Dr. Pardo had stayed late to see Andrew, by the time we got in it was almost 6. His staff had all went home. He told us they were really booked but he knew Andrew needed some relief so please call after 6 am the next morning and the girl in scheduling would just fit him in sometime this week. I called at 6, she called me back in 10 minutes and said to have him there at 1:30. He ended up getting about 9 shots, between pain killers and cortisone. The doctor's official diagnosis with what is wrong with Andrew's back: Arthritis. Not really what we wanted to hear, especially at age 44, but Dr. Pardo thinks he can manage it with medication for now. He had been diagnosed a year ago with arthritis in his shoulder so it didn't come as a huge surprise.

He has been doing remarkably well, he still has some momentary pains, but that is to be expected.

Robert has had a busy week also, he has been cleaning out grain bins for a friend of ours, he has been so disappointed this summer not to have a job, so he is tickled to death to get to work for someone other than Mom. Hopefully, if all goes as planned, tomorrow morning we will head to Olney to tag and title the truck. We had planned it for earlier this week but when he got the chance to work, we knew we wanted to put this aside. The play he is in, "Oklahoma", in Effingham, starts next Thursday night, with performances Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday afternoon. Tickets are available though FACE. Thursday and Sunday are Theater only, Friday and Saturday are dinner theaters with a western style dinner. For more information call 347FACE during regular business hours. He has been at practice every night this week, he has lines, small ones, but they are lines. He has had a lot of fun with this and I am so glad he can add it to the list of things he has done on his summer vacation.

That leads to me. Life is a bit of a whirlwind right now, I'm lovin' it, don't get me wrong but wow! Monday, I went in late because I was taking care of getting Andrew into see Dr. Pardo. Then, I left early to get him over there. During my time at work, an opportunity presented itself and I now have another little program to take care of. I am really excited though I haven't had time to really figure out the specifics. Bottom line, Microsoft is donating some online classes through an agreement with the State of Illinois, I am going to be in charge of the "Elevate America" campaign. As I said, I haven't figured out the specifics yet, but it starts July 31st, so I need to get on the ball.

Wednesday and Thursday I have gotten to go to Paris and Mattoon respectively and do cooling apps. I love getting out in the field and doing apps, there are so many interesting people--especially in our Sr. homes and I love getting to be back out there once in a while. Today I go to Charleston to do outreach. I am also thrilled that technology has made this possible. I take the laptop, the wireless card and a 3-in-1 printer, we can copy all their documents, put the app on the web-based program and print it out for them to sign all while the client is sitting there. In the "old days" we had to go write everything out, sign an affidavit saying we saw all the information and it is true and then come back to the office and put it in the system, basically, it meant doing everything twice. I love that we have simplified this and that I am part of the answer.

I am looking forward to this weekend, tomorrow, we meet Sis and family for a cookout and Sunday we head to Simple Blessings to sing. Throughout that time though, I am going to find some time to just sit down. I can't wait!

2 comments:

Ashley said...

I hope Andrew gets feeling better soon!!

Tell Robert I said "Break a Leg"!

And Mindy.... don't forget to stop and take a minute for yourself every now and then! :)

Browningblog said...

Thanks Ash, I'm lovin' every minute of it but yes, I am planning on a breather this weekend (plus I snuck out of work 2 hours early today!)