Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Almost to Happen

We are inching closer to the finish line with the El Camino...the "first" finish line anyway: getting it legal and drivable. The new windshield was installed yesterday. Last week, Robert bought and installed a new master cylinder and so all that is standing in his way is title, tags and insurance. I called the Secretary of State's office yesterday and by the way I understood it, we can do the title and get the tags all in the same day, then call and put insurance on it and he is good to go. He still needs to put all new belts and hoses on it before it leaves town and since he is putting his money towards the tags, it may be a couple weeks on that but we are so close!

He told me he couldn't wait to get it drivable because then they would start working on all the cosmetic stuff. This morning, when I went to take the picture, I realized there are a LOT of cosmetic projects--like a grill, a new dashboard, new trim around the windows, paint, carpeting, and I could go on but I am so proud of what they have accomplished. I am very sure it would have been cheaper to have bought him a car, but I don't think it would mean as much to him. When he was little, he would go out and sit in Mom's garage, in this truck and pretend like he was driving, he would do that for hours! Those who knew my dad know how much Robert reminds us of him--my dad would have been very proud too.

Congratulations Robert, I am looking forward to the day you have it where you want it and take it to your first car show. I know we have started a hobby for you that will last a lifetime.

No comments: