Tuesday, May 28, 2013

What a fantastic Memorial Day weekend!

I decided last week that since we all were going to be around most of the time on Memorial Day that I just wanted to make a push to get a couple of major projects done. The main one was to have my cabinet in place in the kitchen by Monday night. And it is here.

Here are some before and afters:




and here are the afters!




the bread drawer and flour bin are both functional and yes, I will use them!  I love it, it turned out better than my wildest dreams!

If anyone hasn't heard the story, this was my grandmother's cabinet. My uncle Kenny bought it back in the 50's and it was old then, I believe he said Grandma paid him $15 for it. When I was a little girl and stayed all night at Grandmas, she would let me eat at the right end of this cabinet. Food wasn't allowed in the living room (except for Christmas day) and she would let me sit there, open the curtains to the living room and I could see tv. It was the epitome of being spoiled! (not sitting at the table to eat).  When Uncle Junior died, he made me the executor of his estate. In the will it said I wasn't to ask for any compensation for that and I didn't. But Uncle Kenny suggested that I take the cabinet. He thought it was built in the mid-20's. I cried, my house was built in '28 and I had the vision of it, just like it is, sitting just where it is that day.

And now it is a reality. Andrew did an amazing and meticulous job!


I also finished another project this weekend. I had ordered new rockers and a new table for my porch. When they came, they were an off-white instead of white, like my swing. So, I bought the plastic paint and I got them finished Saturday.



It has been a very good weekend, topped off with even getting to see my favorite soldier and meet his girlfriend. Now on to an excited week down to the fact Andrew has to go to Springfield for 3 days and guess who else has to be there in the middle of it? Yep, I got summoned to Springfield this coming Thursday, so this time I may stay with him!


Happy, Happy Tuesday everyone!

No comments: