Monday, January 21, 2013

Day One--Remission??

Sunday January 20th has to be the most remarkable day in the last 2 1/2 years. First off, Saturday night, I went to sleep a little before 10 because I had a headache and they had given me Tylenol so I thought I would just close my eyes and let it work. Crystal, my tech, woke me up at 2 to take my sugar. I thought, "I probably should go to the bathroom" and the next thing I know, she is waking me up at a quarter til 5, to test my sugar again. I laid there in awe of the fact that I had been in bed ALL NIGHT and that I DIDN'T need to go to the bathroom. I can't explain that feeling, but having a constant need to go to the bathroom for years and then it being gone is wonderful. So, I laid there and about a 10 after 5, I thought I'm up so I ordered a cup of coffee. At 5:30, I decided I probably did need to go to the bathroom. What happened next was nothing short of a miracle in my eyes. I have had diarrhea for over 2 years, every time I go to the bathroom. When I went at 5:30 yesterday morning, it wasn't diarrhea and then, to top it off, I ALWAYS go at least 5 times within the first hour of being up. My bowels have dictated my getting out of bed forever. After I went the one time, I didn't need to go again, at all, until 11:30. So, from 10:00 the night before, to 12 1/2 hours later, I went to the bathroom TWICE. I was so excited, I cried. I really thought it was the Imuran kicking in already and I am still not convinced that it didn't help but Dr. Peterson said it was the steroids more than anything but that yes, that is remission. I had never seen remission. I have now seen one day of it and this morning, Monday, I am in day 2, very clearly. I woke up at 5:30 this morning, after sleeping all night, I went to the bathroom and WENT BACK TO BED!!!!  I got up at 7, I have to tell you, it was hard to do that but I feel so good I want to get some things done.

I can't tell you how happy I am just by the prospects of having this change. My first thought was I will get to be in the Alumni band again, something I have dearly missed. I also thought I can really do a 5K now and I can train for it and we can do this.

I know I have only been "in remission" about 36 hours but when you have had a problem as long as I have, 36 hours feels like an opportunity of a lifetime.

So, I have lots of projects on the horizon, including hoping to get to my office today and finish moving stuff from Brenda's office into mine, I am hoping to take advantage of the quiet to get that done and out of the way. I am still moving to her office but I wanted everything organized in mine before we actually just moved the furniture.

I am still figuring out if I am doing Weight Watchers tonight. The high doses of prednisone is wrecking havoc right at moment and I am doing everything I am supposed to, I probably need to go get back into a meeting, because I missed last week, though, even if I don't weigh.

Happy Monday everyone, happy, happy day.

No comments: