Tuesday, March 20, 2012

So Excited

Today is one of those favorites for me. Our Employment Resource Lab classes start again tonight. I have honestly lost track of how many classes I have taught. Every set is different but every one has been meaningful. I am so excited about this one because I have revamped the curriculum and it is spot on. This is more than just a computer class, it is also a class on job search and interview skills. I have had so many of my students call and say they got their job because they were prepared for the questions and I have had A LOT of them go back to school after taking this class. I have one who very recently brought me in not one but TWO degrees from one of our local junior colleges. She was 55 when she took my class, recently widowed and raising a grandchild.  She has a job now and has been told they see her advancing, most of all, she is happy (and she can run laps around me when it comes to Microsoft Office Access-she loves it!).  I have another one of my seniors (I do classes just for low-income seniors in coordination with Experience Works too). Anyway, I have another one who had never hardly touched a computer when she came in....she knows her way around quite well now and loves being able to keep up with her family on facebook. So, you can see why today excites me!

I have also been working with the programmers and state level LIHEAP coordinators to help get ready for PIPP recertification. It is a great honor to me that they want my input. I am also very, very happy that they are trying to get something computerized that by all thoughts we would have to do by hand. It's too much to explain in a blog but we have almost 800 clients on this program and the system side of it is far from perfect. We have to do the program because it is a state law, regardless of how well the computer system works. I believe PIPP is going better than I even imagined and it is such a big help for the ones that are on it and using it correctly.

Andrew and Robert are doing well. Andrew is wanting to go back to work but hasn't been released yet, finding things to do around here is a bit of a challenge but we are getting there. I have stopped straightening up the kitchen of a morning, which is hard for me but gives him something to do.

Robert gets out of school May 11th. It is hard to believe he is almost half way through to being a mechanic. I shouldn't say that, he IS a mechanic. He has that natural ability and is going to do great.

My friend Patty, whom I spoke of last week did not get the greatest news in Houston. The tumor has grown. Fortunately the doctor has a new plan of action. You can read all about it here: Patty's Journey of Faith. The main thing to remember is she has laid this on the Lord, much better than I have to tell you the truth. We had a revival once where the preacher said we are guilty of playing tug-o-war with God; handing our problems over to Him and then taking them back. I do that with very few people, unfortunately Patty is one of them and I find her telling me to get it right.

My UC is doing excellent right now. I am on my very last week of prednisone. I haven't been off of it more than a couple weeks since last May. I have to admit, I am noticing the energy drain but tanking up on B-12 to help combat it. This is the farthest down I have made it without side effects though. I may be on my way.

So, as one of my friends stated on Facebook this morning, actually a quote from Dr. Suess: Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So...get on your way!

I absolutely love my mountains. God has given me such a much bigger and exciting life than I could have ever dreamed or imagine.

Happy, Happy Tuesday!!

No comments: