Saturday, August 1, 2009

Happy August!

Wow, talk about time flying..this month definitely flew! Where did it go??

Andrew had shots in his back, which made him feel better, he has started having some problems again so we are back to the doctor in three weeks.

We have successfully made it through another cooling program. I am hoping and praying we were able to help every income eligible citizen of our counties. It was a pretty non-eventful program this year, no major problems. I went out and did outreach at several sites, which I loved to do. We also held our FCD banquet which honors those clients who are working their way out of needing us and becoming self-sufficient. Yesterday we launched a new program that I am going to be administering, Elevate America. Supposedly there were several press releases on it around Illinois. Microsoft has donated 51,000 computer class vouchers to help people become more computer literate. They have been giving to Illinois Worknet sites, Community Colleges, High Schools and Community Action Agencies were given 3,000 to help our clients. It is a very quick program, just 3 months but it is something I believe a lot of people can benefit from. Eventhough it is going to cause me to be even more busy, I think it will be worth it. I made a trip to Springfield yesterday with our CSBG coordinator to get the specifics--I am still gung-ho on it though.

I also got to go to the periodontist last Monday, not a good trip, I have one tooth that periodontal disease is beating, it is already loose and will probably have to come out in the near future, at least it is very far back in my mouth!

Robert has probably had the most eventful July, band camp the 6th-10th, being in Oklahoma the 23rd-26th, drill camp the 27th-31st, and of course, driving his truck for the first time on the 27th. I would call this month memorable for him.

We were also very excited to meet Bob's girlfriend, Lila. We had a wonderful time with them last weekend and have no problem seeing what Bob sees in her, she is a great lady.

Our July was not without some sad times. A week ago today, my friend Jenny had to make the decision to discontinue life preserving procedures on her husband Justin. He passed away on the 27th. He was 32 years old. I can't imagine what the family is going through there. Please pray for all of them especially Jenny because the one thing I do know is that it gets harder after the funeral when everyone goes home. All of the sudden, the rest of the world's life is back to normal and you get to thinking you will never be normal again, then you have the realization that you have to find a new normal. I get aggravated when people say "I know just how you feel"; no 2 people have the same relationship so I don't think this is a relevant statement, but I do feel like the time lines are pretty similar and that no matter what, you do have to go through this stage.


August is already starting to fill up, Sunday is Duane's estate sale, he was our board president so I really want to go just to have something of his. Next weekend, I have a company picnic on Friday, a Sunday School picnic on Sunday along with a baptism. In between there is mine and Robert's annual shopping day at St. Louis complete with Muny tickets to Hairspray--that's the day I'm working for this week--I can't wait. I have no less than two trips to Springfield, a trip to Enfield and I need to make it to all of the field offices this month to get them ready for our heating program. Of course, school starts the 21st, Media night is the same night. The Lincoln Balloon Festival is the 28th and 30th and to top it off, in the next few weeks, I will turn 42 and Robert will turn 17, I can already tell August is going to be a whirlwind too!

2 comments:

Ashley said...

What an inspiration your family is Mindy!

Browningblog said...

See what you have to look forward to? We are probably your family--just an older version! LOL