Saturday, August 17, 2013

Vacation Attempt 3, or maybe 4.

Well...

On Friday, August 9th, at 4 p.m., I officially went on vacation. At about 2 on August 12th, I went back to work. I really did take the 13th off with the understanding that I was probably going back to work at 8 the morning of the 14th. We finally alleviated the problem that morning and a little before noon, I was back on vacation. Thursday it dawned on me that I could probably finagle this coming Monday and Tuesday off to make up for the days lost this week. So be it, for now anyway.

So, what have I done on my summer vacation, you ask? Well, I helped Andrew put a new ceiling in my mom's utility room, aka the back porch (according to her, it is too nice to be a porch now so it's a utility room. It is enclosed, so if that's what she wants it to be, that's what it is.) I had just finished holding up the last big piece when I had to go back to work so he finished there while I ran to Greenup, conveniently, Mom is only 8 mile from the office.

Tuesday, I packed a picnic lunch and Mom and I headed to Mahomet to what USED to be the botanical gardens. It is still labeled as such but, sadly, is a far cry from what it was when we were kids. We met Nila there and it was still nice getting to be together. We went to the carillon and picnicked. I wish I would have taken pics of lunch because I thought it was really good and they said it was too. It was all pretty reasonable points-wise too.
I made
Chicken Salad Wraps (with dried cranberries)
Dilled Potato Salad
Italian Green Bean Salad (ZERO points!)
Deviled Eggs
and
Angel Lush for dessert.
 The desserts were really cute and I did take a picture of them, 3 points!

 


 The worst part is, I stole the look from Taste of Home magazine, but definitely not the recipe. It called for Sweetened condensed milk AND sour cream in your pudding. Please people, I swear we, as a nation, just see how fattening we can make things. Mine is just plain old sugar free pudding.

Here are pictures from the day though!
 




 
 
 
 
 
 
 
As I said, we also went to the Carillon, I was the only brave sole to go up, which I did without it killing me!!!  Yeah Me! and yes, I think it was 5 or 6 flights of stairs.
 
 




 
 
 
 
We went back to their little museum after lunch and then we said our goodbyes and headed home. Mom and I stopped in Champaign and Mattoon for a little shopping and ended up in Charleston at just the correct time to meet Robert for dinner. Great day!
 
 
Thursday, we got gravel, 4 loads of it. I was the only one home. When you get gravel, the truck spreads it and then one has to take a rake and spread it some more and even it out. Did I mention I was the only one home?  I have my little activelink that tells how much activity I do each day. I have a daily goal of 2 points. I did 11 that day....and sat in my jet tub for an hour. I seriously didn't figure I would be able to move Friday but surprising, the sore was totally gone by about 9 am. Again, I'm in MUCH better shape than I used to be!
 
So then we are to Friday, my 46th birthday. What a glorious day!!!  First off, my hubby got me one of those birthday cards that makes me melt. *insert your eyes rolling here* Sorry, it's how we roll. Robert bought me a gel nail kit that I had been wanting (and it works!!!  it really, really works!!). Andrew had paid for me a little shopping spree a couple of weeks ago and was taking me out to dinner. 
 
My mom came down and took me to lunch at Parklanes.
 
 
Robert got off early enough to make it all the way home and then he and I went back to Greenup to meet Andrew to go to Terre Haute for dinner. We went to Tokyo Japanese Grill. I love that place. All in all, it was just an absolutely perfect day.
 
 
Here's a couple of pics...
 


 
 
and that brings us to today. What a day!
 
 
We all started out at Parklanes for breakfast, Robert went to work, Andrew went to Menard's and I went to have my hair done. This afternoon, we met up at the farm to start working on Robert's house. I actually just brought the guys lunch and then came back home to do some chores here, but they met with more problems after I left so they are back at Menard's right now, buying more supplies. We thought we were replacing the floor in the living room. Unfortunately, because of the way the house was built, we will also be replacing the floor in two bedrooms. Already breaking the budget and it is day 1. It will be worth it in the end but these first days of seeing exactly what all you are facing can be a little challenging and a lot scary. Hopefully tomorrow we get to make some real progress!
 




 
 
So that is vacation so far. Tomorrow we are going to church and then straight to the farm. Monday the guys both head back to work, and I hopefully get more things I wanted to do done around here. Today, I managed to clean out the fridge, freezer, and the two remaining food cabinets. Monday, I AM going to conquer the laundry room!
 
Happy Saturday everyone!!

No comments: