Sunday, December 4, 2011

Into December

It amazes me that time could go any faster, but it does. How is it that I remember those times as a child that it took forever for a certain day here or there to get here?  The day school was out, the first day of a family trip.....Christmas???  Now it seems like it gets here before you know it.

I have decided this year to downsize Christmas as our house---not the meaning mind you, but all the preparation and decorating. I normally decorate every nook and cranny in the house and yesterday morning, I decided I wasn't doing it. I have the tree up, the mantle decked out and of course the porch as well as the kitchen is decorated and I have declared it enough. I couldn't do it on my own though, I had to have someone validate my thoughts. I called my mom, not home. So when Robert got up, I asked him if it would be okay.....yep, he says, "I always thought you went overboard anyway". So, when Mom called, I told her I had decided to do this.....her response: "I always thought you went overboard anyway". So there you have, my official permission to get by with this. Yes, pangs of guilt sweep up every once in a while and I think, "I should just run up and get this, or that and put it out. I hate the "I have to do it all" syndrome I have....and am fighting it like killing snakes. My reward is telling myself over and over again, it will only take me about half a day after Christmas to get life around here back to normal.  We have a couple of other projects in the works so eventhough I am planning vacation the week after New Years, I really do like the idea of it not being spent taking down Christmas. Whew, now that's off my chest.

The main project we are getting ready for is the basement. It is not finished and we have no big schemes to finish it now either. We are repurposing it though. It had always been the "teen cave" but now, with Robert's friends scattered, it hasn't been used for that lately. When his friends do come home, they end up in the family room now, if here at all. So, Robert is needing more room in the garage to work on cars, Andrew is wanting a place to do woodworking ( which he never honestly got to do with his shop in the garage because it was always pushed aside to work on cars) and I want a craft room. I made my own Christmas cards this year, and the fact that I had my dining room a mess while doing it drove me nuts. We are still in the moving stuff down there and laying out plans stage but I am hoping to have everything 100% by the end of the first week of January. Should be great!

I keep waiting for life to slow down because Robert is out of high school, it hasn't, it has just changed. This week, he had ballgames on Friday and Saturday night both to play at for pep band. He went to work after he got home from them, which means he has had a couple of really late nights. Andrew is supposed to be working three twelve-hour days, in reality, he is working three twelves and a nine. And then there is my work, which just remains interesting and crazy and fun all wrapped into one. Thursday I got an email from the state wanting to come and do a site visit on one of our offices.....this was an honor because the people who are working on the software for our new program wants to see how it is working and how we are interacting with it. They want to go someplace where they know the workers know what they are doing. This will happen either Wednesday or Thursday of this week and I have chosen the Paris office for them to visit.

On the medical front, I go back to my gastroenterolist on Friday. I have had, as of today, 2 really great weeks. I have not had one bad day since the 18th of November. The downside----since the diarrhea has stopped, I am getting the typical weight gain from the prednisone that everyone else gets. I do at least feel like getting on the treadmill though so I have been trying to combat it. I believe he will start weening me back of the prednisone, I was not happy thinking about this at first but I think I am ready because this watching what you eat and still gaining is for the birds.

I think that catches up our lives, church this morning, shopping this afternoon, church this evening and then back to the grind tomorrow.

Life is good!








No comments: