Friday, January 8, 2016

Starting the New Year

I am seeing so many positive posts on facebook that makes it look like 2016 is starting off well for lots of my friends and family. Ours has started off pretty non-eventful, Andrew and I watched tv until about 9:30 and then went to bed on New Year's Eve. I had to get creative to see the Rose Bowl parade this year as with the Roku, I would have had to wait. I watched it from a live feed in California and loved it!

The year started out with a bang at work as well. One of my dear friends and co-workers retired the last working day of the year, so several of us took on new responsibility in her absence. I think it has to be a tribute that several of us are stepping up to fill different areas of her shoes.

I also spent two days with sick verifiers so I took on that hat for a couple of days.  Let me just tell you, that is the one thing that I am so very bad at. Remember, I was never a verifier, so I know I don't do it as well as the girls who do it all the time. I tell all the vendors this as well. It is good to get to talk with them on this level and I know it is good for me to switch gears and remember what the girls in the field are going through.

Thursday was the highlight of my week, or not. I had a colonoscopy. My third colonoscopy in 5 years and 5 months. I do have to tell you, because I have Ulcerative Colitis, they did a "gentle prep" and I have to say it was a million times better than the first time. My second one, 151 weeks to the day from the third one, was unplanned and unprepped, it was still not fun.  I guess I gave them quite a scare though yesterday. I was already under the first sedation medicine and I was talking to one of the nurses. We were talking about being type A. Right before I went out, I said, "I am so Type A, I will probably drive home". They all went in a frenzie, and apparently went running to Andrew and telling him to NOT let me drive home. Well, duh......why do they listen to anything said after sedation?
When I woke up, I was seeing three of everything and felt like I was being raced very quickly down the hallway by two very fast talking nurses. The downside is I heard what they were talking about---how many biopsies my doctor took. The nurses lost count.

I need to back up and say, I was really expecting this report to be better. As I was down to seeing two of everything, here come Doctor Peterson. He told me he wasn't happy, things were worse. I then proceeded to tell him I had quit taking one of my meds because I realized it was causing some problems. So he told me a different one he wanted to try.

After I got a little more with it, I started realizing what he said, and was pretty sure what he wanted to do, I didn't. This morning, I did some research on the medicine he wanted to start me on and sure enough, it contained Asacol. The worst of the worst for me. I emailed him.

Let me just tell you, I have THE. BEST, DOCTOR, IN, THE, WORLD. He called me at 5 this evening and apologized for not remembering my adversity to Asacol. Okay, he made that decision standing over me, without any of my records. He really thought he should have remembered I can't handle it. Okay, I know, I would have been the same way, but somehow when he does it, I know that's not normal. Anyway, I have a friend who was just put on Humira and loves it, so I told him her results. He wants me to wait a couple of weeks on just what I am doing now and see where I am, I am to call him back in two weeks and let him know how I am doing, if I think I need the Humira, we will go forward. If I think I am doing well, we won't go there yet. have I mentioned I have the best doctor in the world? I told Andrew last night on our way home, he is such a sweet, caring guy, I truly hope he has a life outside of his medical practice.

Oh, and of course, he had to tell me why he took so many biopsies. He didn't see anything that looked like cancer but he still needs to monitor for change. If there would be any significant change, it could be pre-cancer and we would have to talk about removing the colon. I am so not ready to go there and I did promise him that if I didn't feel like I was doing really well in two weeks I would gladly sign up for a shot in my stomach once a week.

So, today, I was back at work, lots to do but it was a good day because I got lots done. :-)

Tomorrow we go look at a truck for Robert to replace the one he totaled the day after Christmas. Funny, he found this one at the same dealership he got his first really nice car, so we are hoping it is just as nice. I also have my next devotional on my other blog Louder Than the Voices ready to go. Check it out after about 2 in the morning.

So, 2016 isn't off to a bad start for us either, Andrew has had work this week and that is great for this time of year and we are all still standing.

Happy Friday night!


No comments: