Sunday, June 16, 2013

Up, up, and away

I wrote all of this in the airport yesterday, only to have "Boingo" confiscate my Wi-Fi.  Not a happy camper but oh well, will try to remember what I said.

Today (well, yesterday now) is the day, I brought my one and only son to the airport to fly to Seattle. His first time flying, his longest time away from home by himself. He has been away from me for a week before but he was at scout camp and so his dad was with him.

I am really proud of him, not only for his independence, but for the fact that he is the kind of friend that someone thinks will take care of his most valuable possession for him. Of course, Adam is the closest thing to a brother Robert has. Adam has spent a lot of time at our house. It was literally his second home, to the point that one time when his cellphone was broke and he could do was leave a message, he left our phone number as the easiest way to reach him. I'm glad Robert has a friend like that too.

So, I was also in a much more sentimental mood yesterday morning, I told very eloquently how  great Adam and Robert both are. I pray for both of them this week, Robert as he leaves for home in the morning and Adam as he leaves for Afghanistan Wednesday, it is going to be a long 9 months. I am so glad they got to spend the day together today as well as last night.

So, we came down on Friday just so we didn't have to get up at the crack of dawn yesterday. I had NOTHING planned, so I asked Robert what he wanted to do, the Arch was the winner, we went to the Arch, went up in the Arch, and then saw the movie. I then asked what he wanted for dinner. A steampot from Joe's Crab Shack. So that was our plans.

We didn't realize how high the Mississippi was....

 
 
We caught a glimpse of the Met Life Blimp before heading up in the Arch.


Just going to give you fair warning, if you ever go to a museum with Robert, he reads every single card, plaque, anything. Of course, that's what helped him become a Wealth of Useless Information".


It was a little crowded at the top.
 
 
 I think the waitress was being a little flirty with him.


Then came Saturday morning....


Ready to go....yes, he accused me of taking pictures so I could have accurate pictures if he needed identified. Which I didn't--- however, I find it sad when people go missing and they haven't had a picture taken in months, or sometimes a year. There's never any danger of that at my house.




 Last glimpse of him as he goes through security.
 His plane.



And he is off. He texted me from Minneapolis and said, that was awesomely awesome!  I knew he would love flying. I had suggested we go someplace that required flying before and he wasn't enthused. So, I found it funny when Adam asked him to come out that he didn't even hesitate.



So, now it's Sunday evening. He called a little bit ago because he knew I would be heading to bed. He has had a wonderful time with Adam. They have all the legal stuff squared around so Robert can bring the car home and he will drop Adam off late tonight and say goodbye. He is planning on leaving before 6 in the morning because he wants to get out before Rush hour.

Life's an adventure, he's getting his first one on his own and I couldn't be happier.

Today I feel we have been truly successful in giving him roots and wings.


No comments: