Sunday, October 31, 2010

Happy Halloween!

Yes, it was my favorite Halloween costume I made for Robert, I am pretty sure he was three that year. The costume is still around here somewhere I am sure. Seems so hard to believe that was 15 years ago.

What a week it has been! A week ago last Friday, I had a tooth pulled. It shouldn't have been a big deal. I have periodontal diesease and the tooth was causing a potential problem but not a current one at all. I swelled really bad but thought everything was normal.

Monday, we had a bus tour from the Illinois Association of Community Action Agencies come. This was a wonderful day. We were showcasing the jobs created and the people helped with ARRA money. My part in this day was to have a powerpoint presentation of the new Weatherization building going up and of the Weatherization crew doing what they do. It was ready and playing when the bus got there, I was standing back and letting all the "important people" do their thing. I hadn't been in the new training room five minutes but I hear Denny yelling "Mindy, come here." The "important people" wanted to see how the Smartboard worked. I was happy to show them. Then I had to go get printouts of the specs for most of them.

My proudest moment on Monday was my mom though. She had her house weatherized because of the ARRA grants. She had been invited to the events the week before but Monday morning, they asked if she would speak. She did such a wonderful job. She told what was in her heart and how much it meant to her to have a warm home. It created many questions that afternoon among my coworkers about my childhood but I think it raised their awareness of why I am so passionate about what I do.

Wednesday morning I woke up and my face was the size of a football. I had been told by my dentist that if I had went 3 or 4 days with no fever I could stop the antibiotics. I stopped them Tuesday. At the time, it seemed a big mistake. I tried to call the dentist, closed on Wednesday. I started back on the antibiotics and came home from work and rested. Thursday I went to work early to get everything done I needed to for me to be gone a couple days. Then I left at 8:30 and headed to the dentist's office. He sent me straight to an oral surgeon who decided I had a blood clot in my cheek. He numbed it and cut a one inch incision in my mouth. I am more petrified of being cut on than having shots. I can't stand the thought of even accidentally cutting my finger. I always figured I would die from a knife wound because that scares me about more than anything. On top of everything else, when he started trying to push the clot out, it hurt BAD. I don't care if that makes me a wimp. I thought I was going to pass out. I am working on not crying in public, this was a true test. I got out to the car and literally sobbed and screamed. Andrew probably thought I was having some kind of manic episode and I probably was.

Yesterday morning, I was expecting things to be better and they were worse. I called the oral surgeon who told me the second day after surgery would be my worse and to continue taking it easy, keeping heat on it and sleeping in an upright position.

Taking it easy only goes so far when your kid has his very last band competition. I didn't realize how much this took it out of me until a day out and about. But man was I glad I went. The Eagles got Grand Champion in Field and 1st place in their class for the parade. What an awesome end to and awesome year. So happy for Robert that this year went the way it did and that he made it through every solo every time.

So that brings me to today. Halloween, I look a little Frankensteinish. The bruising is going away though, I have a red eye which I assume will turn black or yellow in another day or two but we are still going and that's the important thing.

All this from a tooth that should have caused no problems at all, that I was having pulled so I WOULDN'T have problems.

Such is life.

No comments: