Wednesday, March 31, 2010

New Adventures

Last night marked the beginning of a new set of computer classes. I always am so nervous I about make myself sick before the first class. I have never had two groups even close to being alike and this group is no exception. I have six students and I think this is going to be a great class.

My heartbreaker is normally my students are working but "under-employed", this time, 5 out of 6 of them are unemployed. I have one lady whose husband past away of a heart attack at 48, my dad was 44. She has three kids, one in college, one in high school and a 6 year old. She has never touched a computer but sheer will and determination, she is going to be one of my best students.

I have another student who had worked for a major factory in the area for 20+ years, she was a victim of downsizing in December. She got severance but it ends in September and she is hoping to have something in place by then.

I always make a pretty busy list for the first night of class, how far I get on that list is a determaning factor to me as to how much I can teach them and what pace to set the class. I got all the way through my list and only went over by 5 minutes. I think this is going to be a great set of classes.

Helping People, Changing Lives.....it's our motto and days like yesterday makes me remember why I love my job.

No comments: