Saturday, April 25, 2015

My First Capsule

So today, I got it in my head to try the latest thing--a clothing capsule. For those who know me well, you know I'm a clothes hoarder so this was a big step. According to what I was reading, I was to skim down to 15 tops, 9 bottoms, 9 pair of shoes (yes, that was the HARDEST part!), 2 dresses, and 2 jackets. I didn't make it all the way to that, but I cleaned out a lot. I found out a few things about myself in the process. I almost always wear a blouse and a jacket as my top, so yes, I allowed myself 15 of each, I ended up with just 11 tanks and blouses, and 11 sweaters. I didn't really think that was too bad. I also ended up with 11 bottoms, because I had 7 pair of slacks, 2 split skirts (which I love this time of year), as well as 2 skirts. Because I almost always wear a skirt or dress to church, I thought I could keep the skirts as well as I have 3 dresses instead of 2. I really do only have 9 pair of shoes out right now. According to what I have read, I am supposed to change out once a season. I really think I will change in a little different schedule.  I have, for a long time, changed out my sweaters in the middle of winter, so I am used to this. I also have room under the bed and in the closet of my guest room so it's not like they will be hard to change out. My shoes are actually still in my closet, just in these little cubicles out of the way, Andrew built those for me years ago. My picks though are on the shelves, easy to get to.

Back to the part that I learned about me. Back when I worked at Walmart and the restaurants, my clothing budget was pretty near to zero. I was pickier then about buying things that go with several things I already have. I have lost that somewhere along the way and I realized today that I want to get back to that. People used to complain that I always had new clothes; I didn't, I just put them together differently.

While I was at it, I did a capsule for Andrew as well. Wow, I may actually iron his dress shirts when I wash instead of waiting until the Sunday morning he wants to wear it. My reasoning always was our closet was so jam packed, it didn't do any good to iron until you pulled whatever it was that needed it out of the closet. Not so anymore. Andrew has an entire half of the closet! I also realized that somehow or another, he no longer owns a pair of black dress pants. Hmm....

I also, with a bit of sadness, found out that I totally missed out on wearing a favorite pair of shoes this past winter because, apparently, I had too many pair of shoes and didn't realize they were buried.

And, the worst part of the day, there were many things I put away that I love, but I have gained weight and they don't fit. That gives me a goal for the next 2 months and changing out the capsule.

So, starting on a new adventure, first time in my life I don't think I need a walk-in closet. I had actually thought about, when Robert moved out, moving our family room to the living room, making the current family room our bedroom and making our bedroom into one giant walk-in closet. I'm still not ruling it out, after all, this is not even officially day one of my capsule. We'll see.




No comments: