Monday, June 23, 2014

The Giant Stuffed Hamburger

A couple of months ago, Robert comes in and tells me that Adam texted him an requested a special meal for his "Welcome Home" dinner. He wanted a Giant Stuffed Hamburger.  He told me this evening as he we were gathered around the dinner table eating it that it was the very first meal he ever ate at our house. He proceeded to tell us a long list of foods he remembers eating here, and only here. Adam was my resident eater, he always fed my ego as I fed his stomach. When he left for the service, I honestly had to adjust because my own two guys wouldn't eat leftovers, Adam loved raiding my fridge. Anyway, I posted pics of the hamburger on FB and have some interest in the recipe.

Giant Stuffed Hamburger
3/4 c crushed Nacho cheese Doritos                     8 American Cheese slices
3 eggs                                                                    1/2 c dill pickle chips
2 TBSP mustard                                                    1 medium onion, sliced
1/2 tsp salt                                                             1 medium tomato, sliced
1/4 tsp pepper                                                        1/4 cup butter   
2 lbs hamburger                                                     1 TBSP chili powder
2 TBSP Worcestershire sauce                               
                                                                               
Mix Doritos, eggs, mustard, salt, pepper, hamburger, Worcestershire sauce. Divide into 2 parts,
one slightly larger, pat out into flat circles, I use a dinner plate, covered with wax paper to judge size.  Make the bottom one all the way to the edge, and the top one about an inch less in diameter.  Layer onions, tomatoes, pickles and cheese on bigger half and cover with smaller half, press seams together. Melt butter, add chili powder and baste the hamburger. Grill or broil for approx. 10 minutes, until no longer pink. I use a King's Hawaiian Round Loaf, it is the perfect bun for this.

Here is the finished product:



I have never tried broiling it, I have always grilled. This is what the basket I use looks like, I imagine they are still pretty easy to get ahold of:
One more thing about this recipe. When I was a teenager, I lived by Seventeen Magazine. I don't know if Seventeen still does it, but every month, they had recipes for one meal. Every month, I would make that meal. I admitted today that I have a binder with every single one of those recipes ripped out and in it. So, from one generation to the next, this has been a hit.

And I can't forget a picture of our guest of honor for the night!



(totally disregard that Robert had just got home from work and stripped his Midas shirt off, leaving an oil covered t-shirt).

We lost count a long time ago of how many meals Adam had shared with us, looking forward to years and years of more to come though. Welcome Home Other Son.

No comments: