Sunday, June 8, 2014

A New Chapter

So, today is the day, the first one of "our boys" is getting married.I actually started feeling sentimental yesterday morning as I walked by the church that today holds the grand event. Many have probably already heard this story, but today, you are going to hear it again.

We were living in Olney, IL but coming to church at Hidalgo (our "home" church). We would also come up to AWANA every Wednesday night. Robert had friends in school at Olney, but who he considered his two "very best" friends were Garrett Birch and Tanner Parr. They both went to school in Newton. We had been looking for a house to buy for a couple of years, in Olney, mind you. I didn't want Robert pulled out of school. However, on our way home from our church's AWANA Christmas program, Robert states, "I wish we lived in Newton.". I was working at Greenup which was a 40 mile drive for me, so the thought of moving to Newton, (20 miles closer to Greenup) let alone it being "moving home" for me, actually sent chills. Robert, Garrett and Tanner had already discussed the fact that there were two 6th grade classes with Tanner being in one, and Garrett being in the other. No matter which class Robert would end up in, he would be with one of them. He told me this that night. I need to back up and say, Robert had about three real friends in Olney and a bunch of people who beat on him on a regular basis. He was just not that happy. So, the next step was to look for a house, the one I had loved for a lifetime just happen to come on the market and the rest is history. So, quite seriously, I owe a lot to Tanner and Garrett, I don't think they will ever realize what they did for Robert.


Garrett has stayed a close, true friend to Robert all of these years. I don't even remember what we were doing but Garrett was with us and he was texting Meredith. I finally said, "Garrett, is she the one?" He got this really goofy grin on his face and said, "Yeah". A while later, Meredith was going to school at SIU and Garrett hated it. I was seriously afraid he was wanting her to be closer to home because he missed her and I was thinking he needed to let her get her education in too. Garrett and I talked about it one day though and he explained to me that he worried about her because he didn't feel like she was safe, I think that was the day I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that THIS day would come.

I have gotten the chance to get to know Meredith a little and understand completely what Garrett sees; she is a sweetheart and I feel privileged to get to be in their lives. I am looking forward to lots of happy days for and with this couple.

I started this before the wedding and time got away from me. The wedding was just gorgeous and absolutely perfect. Today the kids on on their way to their honeymoon. I am sure Meredith needs the breather, I think she about stroked out several times during the past few weeks, once on Friday it was because Robert hadn't picked up his tux yet. I thought the funniest part of that was Robert having to deal with a woman other than his mother stroking out on him!

So, to Garrett and Meredith, I pray you have a wonderful, happy life together, somehow, I know you will.
Garrett and Tanner making Christmas cookies at our house



Robert's High School Graduation

Robert, Brian Emmrich, their teacher and Garrett at thier College Graduation


And a few more from the wedding.....
Tanner and Robert both clean up pretty nicely

Getting announced at the reception

Garrett and Meredith and wedding party, the place was absolutely magical!

Me and MY honey ;-)

No comments: