Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Mom's 71st

This past Monday my mom and I celebrated her 71st birthday. Ever since I have started working, if at all possible, I take her birthday off and we go shopping and out for lunch. Monday, she wanted to go to Effingham, take in the resale shops and head to Ryans. Her main goal at the resale shops was to find a pair of nice everyday shoes.

Catholic Charities was our first stop. They were busy, extremely busy but we spent about an hour looking and finding all kinds of goodies. When we went to checkout, Mom had, indeed, found a pair of shoes. She was very happy. When we got to the register though, the lady at the register held up the two shoes and said, "Honey, these don't match". My first instinct was there was probably another pair just like them on the shelf but Mom was sure there wasn't so she told the lady she didn't want them although that was too bad because she really like both shoes. We went on down the road.

We went to Nearly New, then to Ryans and then made a stop at Kohl's. We get back in the car at Kohl's amd Mom very calmly says, "You are going to have to take me back to Catholic Charities, I have the matching pair of shoes to the ones I left." I about died laughing. Sure enough, she had trapsed around Effingham with two different shoes on. At least they were both black and apparently the heel was the same height although one was a wedge and the other was an actual heel, other than that, they were nothing alike. We giggled all the way back, inserting little quips about what we were going to do if the salespeople had already discovered there really was no matches on the shelves and had sent the shoes to the dumpster.

Luckily, they were STILL really busy. When we walked in, the mismatched pair was still sitting on a stool behind the counter. The lady at the checkout was a different woman who had no clue what was going on. We get to our turn at the register, Mom says, "I want that pair of shoes right there", Woman, "They don't match, they aren't really a pair." Mom, "I know, I have the matching pair on my feet." Woman, VERY puzzled look. We explained that she had tried them on and apparently put one on twice. The lady finally started laughing. I wish I could tell in as funny as it was. We giggled about her shoes the rest of the day. I am a shoe person but I had checked out what she was wearing when she came in my house that morning and that was the last I thought of it. I will probably forever check her shoes as we leave a resale shop. I told her on top of everything else, she kinda shoplifted, what a rebel! Then she informed me that she did at least leave her old shoe. I had to tell her that when I caught shoplifters at Walmart, people would leave their old stuff too, it didn't make me think they had left a deposit. She is convinced that a resale shop was different.

I am in a picture funk right now so I didn't take any pictures. Gotta get over that. New Years resolution--get back to Scrapbooking! Kinda hard to scrapbook without pictures.

No comments: