Sunday, August 2, 2015

July in the Rearview

In a lot of ways, I would have to rack July up as a bad month, a month where as a State, we are exactly where we were a month ago and even to me, seeing the side of it that I do, there seems to be a lot of people not thinking there is much being affected by not having a State budget; when in reality, it's been a rough month for a lot of people. Many of our fellow agencies have already closed their doors, it is sad and scary; and as scary as it is for the ones of us who work for these programs, and our own jobs; I don't think there is a one of us that isn't feeling sorry for ourselves, we are scared to death for our clients. We have been told not to really expect anything before September now as far as a budget. We still have Federal LIHEAP, as the Governor seems to be pointing out to everyone he can; unfortunately, at the moment, we have no authorization to run that program because the appropriations are tied to having a budget. We are pushing forward, planning on October 1, but at this point, I can't say with any certainty that we will get to start then. All of this tied up in politics when it shouldn't even be there. Anyway, that's workwise. As far as personal life, things have been better, thankfully. I started out the month with a concert in the park with the Robinson Community band. I decided that I would join the LTC band in the fall because this really was the equivalent of a really good massage for me, as far as clearing my mind. That starts on August 20th. I was in the LTC band before, specifically, three quarters in 1984- I was in high school. So, here it is, 30 plus years later and I am going back. At that time, I sat second chair to Ann Taylor, I so admire her, and wish she was here to play too. She moved away many years ago and I do see pictures from Joanie, I am very sure she still plays. So, I am starting back to college again, however, I am going to be officially enrolled in two different colleges. I was needing a class or two on quickbooks to help me do Andrew's books. So, I am taking two online QuickBooks classes though OCC. So, I guess I'm "dual-enrolled", lol. Not exactly like some of the kids I have known who would go to EIU all day and OCC of a night, but it sounds good. I will have 30 credits when I am done, unfortunately, I am still a long way from an actual Associates because the classes are all over the place. Andrew's business is going well, July was our busiest month yet. We had a renewal of the website that he uses to figure his prices last week, so we realized we started talking about this a year ago. Wow, it has been lots of ups and downs, and praying we were doing what God wanted us to. I had told people for years they had to have more faith and God has tested me first hand this year, as there have been times this year that I didn't see how on earth it was going to work out and He let things fall into place at just the right time that it made me feel like He was just putting His hand on my head and saying, "I am in control, not you." I'm afraid He has had to do that more than once. July and the beginning of August has been big for Robert too. He not only got his big white diesel, but he and his dad got floor laid in the living room of his house. This is big. The last two weeks they have gotten up at 4:30 on Saturday morning, and headed up to beat the heat. I get my stuff done here and then when they get home, I can have Andrew for part of the day. Robert normally has other things going on. Robert also celebrated two years in his job this last week. He is still loving every minute of it. He is truly living the dream. When you kid is happy, you feel successful, no matter what else is going on. So, looking forward to August, hopefully bringing better things for work. If you read the last post and follow me on fb, we have decided to really TRY to make a trip to NYC in December 2016. It will be our 25th wedding anniversary and we are very used to most of the road out there. From here to Harrisburg, PA, we travelled every 6 weeks from the time Robert was born until we moved to Pontiac IL, almost 2 years later. I am taking a week of vacation starting the 10th. I am so excited that I am starting my vacation by seeing my friend Sally, (also mentioned in my last post!) My mom has some projects and I am having a yard sale the 15th so it will be a busy week. On our July 4th family trip, we decided to take a family day every 6 weeks. Our next one will be August 22nd. We are headed to southern Indiana. We are going to those places you pass on the way to Holiday World and vow to go back to some other time. We also realized we will only be 35 minutes from Owensboro, KY, which means a trip to Moonlite BBQ! This is the Saturday between mine and Robert's birthdays so we thought this sounded perfect. I should post pictures, but I'm lazy and it's time to get to church. Happy Sunday, and Happy August!

No comments: