Sunday, April 6, 2014

What's on my bookshelf, er, ipad

So, it's been a while since I have shared what I am reading. I have a lot on my ipad right now and let me tell you; going from a nook to an ipad was a great idea! I love having both the kindle and the nook apps. One of my friends, who is a writer, often has special offers only on kindle. I always had to read her books on my phone. Now, that is solved. I have my head in several things but just finished a Love Inspired Series that was really cute. I like cute, not too deep, yet uplifiting fiction, especially to read before I go to sleep of an evening. It gives my mind a chance to get off all the things that need done at work and/or home. I love the Love Inspired books. They are wholesome, faith-based, and sometimes even thought provoking. Here are the books:
This series is complete, it was published from July to November of last year so NO WAITING on the next book (which drives me nuts!). I loved this whole series and the premise behind the story--saving a small town in Kansas. The town really reminded me of Newton. Just good, light, Christian reads. I have now moved on to my friend, Rhonda Gibson's latest read" Bluebells and Shotgun Shells. I haven't gotten far into it but Rhonda's last mystery book, Lethal Lasagna was a hoot, and just a fun, mystery read. I expect nothing less of this one. Rhonda normally writes historicals. I read hers because I want to see what she is doing and support her journey and I really enjoy every one of them but mysteries are my absolute favorite genre so I get really excited when she brings out a new one.
Then there is the devotional I am reading right now. I have had this and the companion book on my nook for almost a year, but had never started it. My cousin asked if I had read it recently and I had to admit, no. I am probably going to read it again, and again, and again. I started doing the companion daily devotional with it and decided to wait until I was finished with the book. I will guarantee it won't be the last time I read this. I need reminded of too many things in the book.


Then there is the "serious" book I am reading right now. I save this for lunch hours, evenings alone, and just times I get the chance. I am normally reading something historical, work related, or political with this one. I have read both Killing Lincoln and Killing Kennedy by Bill O'Reilly. I'm not a huge fan of Mr. O'Reilly personally. I think he is way too much, "I know everything and if you don't agree with me, you're stupid" but I do enjoy the books. He basically lays all the facts out there, historically. I feel like I learned a lot through Killing Lincoln and honestly, I learned even much more through Killing Kennedy. I'm going to back up here and state that you all know I work daily on the War on Poverty, and you probably also know that Lyndon Johnson is the one who actually declared the War on Poverty, however, it was truly near and dear to John F. Kennedy's heart. Sargent Shriver (Kennedy's uncle) is actually considered the "architect" of Johnson's War on Poverty, so anyway.....there is a lot there that is professionally personal (just found out that Sargent Shriver's son is speaking at a conference I am going to in May--VERY exciting!) Oh, I'm off on a huge rabbit trail....ANYWAY, O'Reilly's latest book is Killing Jesus. I had mentioned it to Andrew and he had already started reading it, so now I am reading it too and yes, I am learning a lot once again. Very good, but honestly, it is taken from History books instead of the Bible, so the is lots of very gory parts, even as the book begins.
So that's it for right now, lots of good reads, I wish I had all the time in the world to read....

No comments: