Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Snowpocalypse 2014

Well of course, a major event in history has to have a blog entry so here it is. For once, actually, what the weathermen predicted pretty well happened. We were to get between 10 and 14 inches of snow. It was still snowing when the wind picked up but at that time, we had between 11 and 12 inches in various places in the yard. 

We were all home Sunday as church was cancelled and we all have jobs that we are off on Sunday (with the exception of Andrew, who isn't supposed to work Sundays but does once in a while when one of the other people need off). So, all day at home. I started out the morning with cinnamon rolls, coffee and just lazily watching the snow fall. It was pretty, and thanks to our furnace and new insulation, it was warmer in our house than ever. It was truly cozy.

I laid out our last package of T-bones and that was lunch, add some potatoes and broccoli for good measure. Robert and I made toasted raviolis for dinner, he appreciates the time it takes to make them more now :-)

I talked the guys into playing a game of Logos, I won, so we will probably never play again, but I thought it was fun anyway. We also watched Ghostbusters II, you can tell, we were really wild on our time off.

I was hoping to get some things worked on since it was the rare occasion that the guys were here instead of at the farm. The glass had been out of my flour bin and it is now fixed, the two light switches that needed replaced are replaced, I am a happy camper. The garage door didn't happen but I really didn't see the necessity in fixing it that day with the temps in the garage where they were. We also got the parts ordered for the AWANA Grand Prix track, something I had nagged Andrew about for the last 3 weeks.

We found out before noon that I was home until Wednesday. I brought work home because I kinda saw that coming but had too much going on not to work on some of it. Thanks to modern technology, it is pretty easy to work from home--even managed to get someone who was desperate some propane today.  We found out by 5 that evening that both of they guys' employers had closed their stores. I was extremely happy.

On a side note, the winter of 78, it was bad, my dad got cabin fever faster than anyone I had ever seen. Robert is SO his grandson. Robert had made two trips to Circle K to get pop before they officially closed all the roads, he also drove up and down our driveway, anything to bring on the feeling that he is NOT trapped here.

So we spent yesterday at home too, we started a game of Risk but didn't get it finished before time to go to bed, it is waiting on us to finish it, but everyone had things going on when we got home so it didn't happen tonight, probably Friday night.

We had homemade pizza for supper, to end our 48 hours of togetherness. I have to tell you, it is remarkable to me that we can all be cooped up and handle each other so well. That makes me happy.

In the midst of everything Sunday, the electricity went out over much of our area, which included Greenup, so our office was out of power. Our brand new mail server should have been on a battery backup but it quit working Sunday so I assumed something malfunctions. The guys drove me up there Monday afternoon to work on it, all is fixed so all is well.

The guys went back to work today, both had a horrible time both ways but they did make it. I go back tomorrow so life as we know it returns to semi-normal tomorrow. Still no school so Robert doesn't have AWANA. He was supposed to have council time and that really makes him nervous so he is not upset in the least about that.

Just one last disclaimer, I do love snow, everyone who knows me knows that. I love it when people we work for are more about safety and family than money. That makes me feel like each of us are where we are supposed to be. I still hate it that people had to be out in it, I do not have reckless disregard for those who do put their lives on the line, whether it be first responders, or linemen, I thank God for them and their wiliness to do a job that needs done. Don't ever take life for granted people. Thank the Lord for each day you get and each person he lets you have in your life just one more day.


Following are our pictures of Snowpocalypse.....
6:00 am

6:00 am

8:30 am

8:30 am
The almost foot of snow

6:30 pm




 

No comments: